- 1941 - former shooting range in Jajinci was used by the German army, the German police (the 64th police battalion) and quisling formations as a place for mass executions of hostages, mainly communists and Jews
- March-May 1942 - Jews from the Sajmiste camp, mainly women and children, who were killed using gas vans were brought to Jajinci and buried in the mass graves on the site
- November 1943-April 1944 - the German authorities were directing the exhumation and the incineration of victims killed in Jajinci
- 1951 - the first commemorative plaque was laid
A few kilometres from Belgrade, at the foot of Avala mountain, lies the largest killing site in Serbia in which the German authorities and the quisling formations shot tens of thousands of people during World War II.
The location was chosen because it had previously been used as a shooting range. The first mass shootings, mainly of communists and Jews, were being carried out already in the summer of 1941. In the autumn of the same year, Jews were brought in large groups from the Topovske supe camp, while the other hostages were brought in mainly from the Banjica camp.
The shootings would continue until the autumn of 1943, after which all the bodies were exhumed and incinerated, of which there are several testimonies that describe the whole process in detail. After being incinerated, the remains were transported by truck to the bank of the Sava River at Cukarica quarter and unloaded there.
All the Jews from the Sajmište camp, mostly women and children, who were killed between March and May 1942 using gas vans (dushegupka) were taken to Jajinci.
The first memorial plaque was placed in 1951, on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the outbreak of the uprising in Yugoslavia. The landscaping of the area around the memorial was done in 1964. It later definitely became a memorial park and, in 1988, it received the famous monument by Vojin Stojic.